Nucleic Acids Chemistry
Outline of Today's Lecture
Prebiotic Chemistry of Nucleic Acids and Chemical Replication
1. Hypotheses on the Origin of Life
- The Miller experiment
2. Studies on Possible Prebiotic Syntheses
- Synthesis of adenine, guanine, cytosine and uracil from simple precursors
- Synthesis of sugars and sugar phosphates under potentially prebiotic conditions
- Oligomerization of activated nucleotides
- Non-enzymatic replication of RNA
- Cofactors as fossils of the 'RNA World'
3. Chemical primer extension studies
- Reactions with amino-DNA and nucleotidyl imidazolides
References: chapter 1 in Voet & Voet,
L.E. Orgel, Crit. Rev. Biochem. Mol. Biol. 2004, 39, 99.